Slow Cooker Beef Tostadas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 beef top round steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Place the first seven ingredients in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Cut steak in half and sprinkle with salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return beef to slow cooker and stir in cilantro; heat through. Spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Place in a single layer on baking sheets; broil 1-2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Spoon beef mixture over tortillas; top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and, if desired, sour cream.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 tostadas: 372 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sep 18, 2016
This came out so tender!! We were a little concerned it would dry up b/c there was not any liquid added, but within two hours, there was a nice natural broth. We didn't care for the tortillas, so we might just use them as taco shells next time, or on top of a salad. We tend to like lots of spices, and found this to be a little on the bland side. However, great texture and very easy to make. I made quacamole and charro beans.
Jun 13, 2016
I thought this would be too hot given the amount of spicy and hot ingredients, but it turned out to be real tasty. Using a small amount in a serving, along with adding the tortillas and veggies, can moderate the heat. Will definitely want to make again!
Jun 6, 2016
Yummy and easy to prepare-nice for a summer evening's dinner
May 4, 2016
Hubby and I liked the flavor of this very much. I will make these again but I will choose a different cut of meat. The round steak got tough in the slow cooker and I only cooked it a couple of hours instead of the 6 - 8 hours as listed in the recipe. But the flavor was good.
Mar 20, 2016
Made this tonight!!! So good!! So easy!! This meat would be great wrapped in a flour tortilla also and eaten like a burrito. The options are endless with this.
Mar 14, 2016
The beef comes out perfectly seasoned. I put the beef mixture over a bed of lettuce, and ate it like a salad.