Slow Cooker Beef Tostadas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 beef top round steak (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Place the first seven ingredients in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Cut steak in half and sprinkle with salt and pepper; add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks. Return beef to slow cooker and stir in cilantro; heat through. Spritz both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Place in a single layer on baking sheets; broil 1-2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Spoon beef mixture over tortillas; top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and, if desired, sour cream.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 tostadas: 372 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 18, 2016
This came out so tender!! We were a little concerned it would dry up b/c there was not any liquid added, but within two hours, there was a nice natural broth. We didn't care for the tortillas, so we might just use them as taco shells next time, or on top of a salad. We tend to like lots of spices, and found this to be a little on the bland side. However, great texture and very easy to make. I made quacamole and charro beans.
Jun 13, 2016
I thought this would be too hot given the amount of spicy and hot ingredients, but it turned out to be real tasty. Using a small amount in a serving, along with adding the tortillas and veggies, can moderate the heat. Will definitely want to make again!
Jun 6, 2016
Yummy and easy to prepare-nice for a summer evening's dinner
May 4, 2016
Hubby and I liked the flavor of this very much. I will make these again but I will choose a different cut of meat. The round steak got tough in the slow cooker and I only cooked it a couple of hours instead of the 6 - 8 hours as listed in the recipe. But the flavor was good.
Mar 20, 2016
Made this tonight!!! So good!! So easy!! This meat would be great wrapped in a flour tortilla also and eaten like a burrito. The options are endless with this.
Mar 14, 2016
The beef comes out perfectly seasoned. I put the beef mixture over a bed of lettuce, and ate it like a salad.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.