Slow-Cooker Beef Barbacoa
I love this beef barbacoa because the meat is fall-apart tender and the sauce is smoky, slightly spicy and so flavorful. It’s an amazing alternative to ground beef tacos or even pulled pork carnitas. It’s also versatile. You can have a soft taco bar and let people make their own—or offer mouthwatering Mexican pizzas or rice bowls. —Holly Sander, Lake Mary, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 beef rump or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup beer or additional stock
- 16 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Pico de gallo
- Optional toppings: Lime wedges, queso fresco and additional cilantro
- Cut roast in half. Mix next 9 ingredients; rub over roast. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add stock and beer. Cook, covered, until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Reserve 3 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return beef and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through.
- Serve with tortillas and pico de gallo. If desired, serve with lime wedges, queso fresco and additional cilantro.Freeze option: Place shredded beef in freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently. Add a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 filled tortillas: 361 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.