Slow-Cooker Beef Barbacoa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 beef rump or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup beer or additional stock
- 16 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Pico de gallo
- Optional toppings: Lime wedges, queso fresco and additional cilantro
- Cut roast in half. Mix next 9 ingredients; rub over roast. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add stock and beer. Cook, covered, until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast; shred with 2 forks. Reserve 3 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return beef and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through.
- Serve with tortillas and pico de gallo. If desired, serve with lime wedges, queso fresco and additional cilantro.Freeze option: Place shredded beef in freezer containers. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently; add broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts2 filled tortillas: 361 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 starch.
Mar 25, 2020
This was excellent! I used a sirloin tri-tip roast that I had in the freezer, but other than that followed the recipe exactly. I've made beef barbacoa before, but will keep this as my favorite. The seasonings were just right, the meat very tender and tasty.
Sep 3, 2019
I have always said, "I hate beer, unless I'm cooking with it". This is one of those recipes in which beer makes the flavor go to the next level! It's absolutely delicious! This will be my go-to for this type of recipe in the future!