Festive Slow-Cooked Beef Tips
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 2 pounds), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker.
- In same pan, add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, wine, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 2 cups, 8-10 minutes.
- Pour over beef in slow cooker; stir in mushrooms. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours. Remove rosemary and bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, water and vinegar until smooth; gradually stir into beef mixture. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without noodles): 290 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Nov 2, 2018
Whenever I see a recipe from Sue Gronholz I Whenever I see a recipe from Sue Gronholz I know it will be great and this one was no exception! I served over mashed potatoes with steamed baby peas, fresh carrots and hot rolls - YUM!
Mar 5, 2017
This is very good! Next time I might crank up the slow cooker to High after adding the cornstarch slurry and let it cook for a little longer, just to thicken the sauce a bit more, but otherwise I would not change a thing. Like a previous reviewer I subbed a teaspoon of crushed dried rosemary for the fresh rosemary sprig. For the wine I bought a mini Bota box (500 ml) of Red-Volution, and there was just enough left over for me to have a glass of it (I fully subscribe to the idea of putting wine into the food AND into the cook). I served the beef over mashed potatoes. My daughter bought me a smaller (4-qt.) slow cooker for my birthday a month ago and this recipe was its maiden voyage.
Jul 23, 2016
Wonderful!! Husband and toddler love it! Did not have the dry red wine, so I just added more beef broth. As a personal preference I only used half an onion and 3 minced cloves of garlic (did not have whole ones on hand).
Mar 8, 2016
This was delicious. My family loved it! Who says you can't have a great dinner in the middle of the week!
Feb 19, 2016
Made a big pot of this using stew meat and some chip steaks I had on hand. Didn't have any red wine so used the red cooking wine and cut way back on the salt. This was very tasty. Had quite a bit left over as there are only two of us so will freeze what's left. Plan on adding (pre-cooked) stew vegetables for the next batch (more onion, carrots and potatoes.) Will probably even try this method with pot roast. Also didn't have a rosemary sprig so used just under a teaspoon of crushed rosemary. Serve this with some jalapeno cornbread...what a feast!
Feb 2, 2016
Wow! What a flavorful recipe! It was a bit time consuming for a weeknight dinner, but well worth the time spent!