Slow Cooker Beef Tips
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 pound), cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes
- Place mushrooms and onion in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat; brown meat in batches, adding additional oil as needed. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 15-30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 212 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 11, 2019
I only modified slightly using button mushrooms. I was a bit skeptical about the recipe as there was much in the way of complexity for flavor. Sadly, this was possibly the worst recipe I’ve ever attempted. The tips were like sawdust and had no flavor whatsoever.
Oct 23, 2018
Melt in your mouth delicious!! Added cream of mushroom soup.
Oct 16, 2018
Was nervous about using sirloin in a slow cooker, but tried it anyway because of the reviews. As expected, the meat was very tough and teasteless. The family wouldn’t eat it.
Oct 15, 2018
This was delicious! I doubled the recipe---using a sirloin roast cubed up. I used a dry red wine and button mushrooms. Served over mashed potatoes with green beans. I am going to morph the leftovers into a shepherd's pie for tomorrow's dinner but would probably be a great way to freeze the leftovers too.
Oct 15, 2018
it was very easy and quick to put together, but there wasn't much flavor.
Apr 25, 2018
So delicious! I would definitely make this again. Trying to cut back on carbs so I used Oprah That's Good mashed potatoes.
Mar 10, 2018
This was a good recipe. My whole family enjoyed it.
Jan 22, 2018
This was delicious! I used red wine, and it really brought out the flavor in this dish! I will definitely make this again.
Oct 16, 2017
My family loved this delicious recipe! We'll be making this all fall and winter. Served with mashed potatoes and caesar salad.
Sep 20, 2017
We loved this! My husband is unbelievably picky, so when he said it was comfort food at it's best, I knew I'd made a winner! I used a bottom sirloin, so a little cheaper cut and it was perfect. To add a little more flavor to the broth, I did stir in a Tbsp of beef bouillon powder and I had to use quite a bit more cornstarch to thicken the broth to a nice gravy consistency. I made Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes along side this and all I had to do for dinner after work was thicken the juice and heat up a veggie. Perfect!