Slow-Cooked Tender Beef Brisket
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cut brisket into thirds; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Thinly slice meat across the grain. If desired, thicken cooking liquid.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 277 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Nov 20, 2014
My husband and I both loved this recipe. It was easy and very flavorful. I had a stout beer instead of wine to accompany the dish. I used regular beer in the recipe but next time I'm going to try using a stout, which I think will really add to the bold taste.
Oct 20, 2013
I left out the green pepper only because I didn't have any on hand. My boyfriend thought this was 5 stars, but I couldn't get past that beer taste. It wasn't my favorite, but I gave it four stars as an average.
Oct 2, 2012
The brisket was very tender without falling apart. The pan juices are very tasty but hard to describe. Is it a barbeque sauce? a gravy?
Dec 31, 2011
My husband said it's just like his moms beef in Ecuador!! We made it for our Christmas party too and there was none left over!
Jul 3, 2011
Very good recipe. The beef brisket was WAY to expensive for me. So I substituted the Eye of Round Roast and it worked out great. I also substituted Sprite for the nonalcoholic beer. I thickened the pan juices with cornstarch and water. (1/4 cup cornstarch, plus enough water to make one cup total).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.