Italian Beef Barley Stew
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the celery, carrots and potatoes. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomatoes, bay leaf and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat and barley are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Serve desired amount. Cool remaining soup; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a saucepan and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 281 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 636mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Feb 20, 2017
Very good soup. I added a can of diced potatoes and everyone loved it !!! Will definitely make again.
Jan 15, 2017
I added some fresh asparagus and sweet bell peppers. I used a full cup of barley so I had to add broth to thin it a bit. A very good recipe, I will make it again many times.
Feb 18, 2016
I love love love barley! This was a very good hearty soup. I couldn't bring myself to add celery. I just don't like celery.
Jan 29, 2015
I boil the barley (low boil) a little before adding and it makes the stew great. I have also tried a small can of chicken stock added with the canned tomato's and it came out great.
Jan 13, 2014
Very good hearty soup that entire family enjoyed. Husband said this was a keeper!
Jan 13, 2014
Very good! I used V-8 juice instead of tomato juice . Served it with cornbread. Really hit the spot! Will definitely make again!
Jan 29, 2013
Super tasty, easy, cheap, and healthy. love it.
Jan 26, 2012
This was dinner tonight and it is delicious...especially with a little grated parm sprinkled on top!!
Jan 19, 2012
The difference between a stew and a soup is the amount of liquid in the recipe. I added a can of beef broth and it was still a stew, nice and thick. This is excellent and so easy to make. Took it to a football party and it was a huge hit with both the women and men.
Dec 14, 2010