Family-Favorite Italian Beef Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sliced pepperoncini, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 packages Italian salad dressing mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 12 Italian rolls, split
- In a bowl, mix the first seven ingredients. Place roast in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Pour pepperoncini mixture over top. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred beef with two forks. Return beef and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on rolls. To make ahead: In a large resealable plastic freezer bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add roast; seal bag and freeze. To use, place filled freezer bag in refrigerator 48 hours or until roast is completely thawed. Cook and serve as directed. Freeze option: Freeze cooled, cooked beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 278 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 735mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Sep 13, 2016
AMAZING!!! I didn't freeze the roast - I just assembled it the night before in a freezer bag and let it marinate overnight. We did use a smaller roast (2.75lbs) so we had a lot of reserve liquid when we were done, but no big deal - just drained it before packing it away. Definitely making this again!!!
Feb 3, 2015
This made a pretty good sandwich, but I also didn't care too much for the flavor. Not sure if it was the pepperoncini or the salad dressing mix, but it just didn't have the flavor that I was hoping for. I added sauteed mushrooms and provolone to the top of the sandwich, and then put it under the broiler, which definitely improved it.
Jan 28, 2015
My husband and I both did not like the flavor of it. We didn't like the spice combination. I really think it can be a great recipe for others, it just didn't suit our taste.
Jan 5, 2015
My husband saw this recipe in the magazine and tried it. He went strictly by the recipe and we thought it was delicious. Over the Christmas holiday our family had a crock pot dinner and we made this. Everyone there thought it was really good. When you put the beef on the bun add a little of the juice with it, yum. This recipe is a keeper.
Nov 11, 2014
When I saw this recipe in the latest issue of Simple and Delicious I could not wait to try it! I've never tried freezer to crock pot cooking before but I knew if this recipe was in Simple and Delicious it had to be good. It just doesn't get any easier than this. All I can say is it was AWESOME!! The only change I made was to drain the pepperoncini, tomatoes, and onion from the crock pot and add to the beef instead of putting the beef back into the crock pot. Adding a little mayo and melting a slice of provolone or mozzarella cheese on the bun is delicious too. This recipe is definitely a keeper and will replace all of my other beef sandwich recipes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.