Family-Favorite Spaghetti Sauce
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, beef, onion, celery and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the diced tomatoes, tomato soup, mushrooms, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Stir in sausage mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until flavors are blended. Serve with spaghetti.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without spaghetti): 223 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 790mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 30, 2018
Love this sauce but was wondering what to change to make this low carb.
Dec 19, 2017
The compliments are still coming in. Working on 2nd batch as I type!
May 5, 2015
Such an easy recipe, yet so delicious! I am not one to write a recipe review, after I have altered the recipe completely, but I did make one minor change. I did not use any sausage, as none of us care for it. I also used a little less than one pound of ground beef, as I like it more saucy than thick. Do try this great slow cooker recipe!
Feb 27, 2013
The whole family loves this recipe. We leave out the mushrooms (we have mushroom-phob family members) and add 2 or 3 diced carrots for additional veggie nutrition. It's a keeper. I prepare two batches at once and freeze one before the slow-cooker stage, then it's easy-peasy to pop it into the slow-cooker another day.
Jan 9, 2013
Sauce was awesome!! I never like to change things the first time I make a recipe, however, my package of ground beef was 1.5 lb and my package of sausage was 1 lb, so that was what I used instead of small amts getting pushed to the back of the frig and spoiling. Also, I simmered on top of the stove instead of using a crockpot. We loved it. Shared with my bachelor brother who called to tell my how good the sauce was!! We all loved the consistency!!
May 13, 2012
My family will never eat any other type of spaghetti again - their quote. They loved it!
Feb 25, 2012
My picky family loved this sauce and so did I. It's nice and thick and full of flavor!
Feb 12, 2012
Excellent sauce! Tasted great and was easy to make. Next time I make it I might change the ratio of sausage to beef to make it more even, or maybe a little more beef. Can't wait to make it again!