Mom’s Hearty Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. add beef and mix well. Shape into eight meatballs. Brown in a Dutch oven over medium heat; drain and set meatballs aside.
- In the same pan, cook sausage, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste, garlic and seasonings. Add meatballs; stir gently. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours. Serve over spaghetti; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
May 11, 2016
This dish is absolutely delicious! I did change just a few minor things. I didn't brown the meatballs in a pan. Instead I browned them in the oven. It was a lot easier that way. I also made my meatballs pretty good sized, but apparently smaller than the recipe wanted me to, in which case I had more meatballs than just 8, which was ok by me! I also used ground Italian sausage in place of the links. Easy to put together, and worth the wait on the cook time. It's even better as left overs.
Jun 5, 2012
My family loves it. As a matter of fact when I made it and I had the exhaust fan on, my neighbor was cutting his grass. He said he felt like he had to come over for some. I told him he should have, I had plenty.
May 25, 2012
Been making this for years. Sometimes I add more seasonings. Great!
Aug 23, 2010
I have been making this sauce since I found it printed in my Taste of Home mag. It has excellent flavor and comes out great every time I make it!
Jun 1, 2010
This is my family's favorite spaghetti. I have made it several times and will continue to do so.
Feb 10, 2010
This is wonderful! the meatballs just melt in you mouth....wasn't crazy about the italian sausage (not my favorite) but i would make more meatballs with the sauce instead... great recipe!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.