Favorite Baked Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh basil, optional
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, Parmesan cheese and butter. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Place half of the spaghetti mixture in a greased 13x9-in. or 3-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the cottage cheese, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake until cheese is melted, 20-25 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with basil.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 526 calories, 24g fat (13g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 881mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2019
Tasted great! My whole family loved it. Simple ingredients and easy to make, even for a rookie like me. I did add half a jar of more sauce and some italian seasoning. Also, I did end up broiling on the top rack for a few extra minutes to get the cheese to crisp up. I thought about using ricotta because I didn't think I would like cottage cheese, but it was amazing. Overall very satisfied. The only thing that didnt come out as expected was that the noodles didnt crisp up at all, may have been something I did though. I HIghly recommend this recipe!
Mar 2, 2019
Made as written and it was ok. Not as good as expected. Underwhelming
Feb 27, 2019
I was excited to try this recipe, but disappointed. I think I was expecting more of a lasagna-type dish. I did like the way the spaghetti tasted. I used my homemade spaghetti sauce and maybe that was the problem. Sauce separated from the dish and it was "juicy". I am going to try making it again with a different sauce. I made it in two pans and took one to relatives and they all like it.
Feb 20, 2019
I haven’t actually made it yet. I have a question, is the grated Parmesan cheese from the canister or a package of cheese sold in refrigerated area?
Feb 18, 2019
I am 70 years old and have looked for this recipe since I was 23 years old. Thanks so very much for making it public. ! (It makes a lot of difference if you buy the hamburger from a butcher..
Jan 30, 2019
This was really good. Even my husband, who is not a fan or red sauce, liked it. I made it meatless by using a meat substitute. I also made it the night before. I only made half a batch and it was enough for 3 adults and 2 kids with 2 good-sized containers of leftovers! (I did use a full 12 ounce bag of meat substitute instead of half a bag for half the recipe.)
Jan 16, 2019
Thís is the BEST baked spaghetti! I have been making his for several years. I usually make my own sauce, but just as good with a boughten sauce. It freezes well and is a great dish to bring to a potluck dinner. Joyce Moynihan, Volunteer Field Editor.
Dec 31, 2018
This was excellent. I made my sauce wet and used linguine as that was what was on hand. And I added finely diced zucchini and carrots that needed to be used. Needless to say I was able to put 2 casseroles in the freezer and eat the 3rd that night. It wasn't a time saver to make but now I have 2 nights I can pop it in the oven so I guess it evens out. Thanks!
Nov 12, 2018
Tastes just like lasagna but way easier!
Jul 19, 2018
It's E-Z to make and it awesome for a big doings.