Italian Green Bean Stew
This stew recipe from my daughter warms the heart on a cold winter day.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large saucepan, cook meat in 1 tablespoon butter until browned; drain and set meat aside. In same saucepan, saute the celery, onion and garlic with remaining butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, salt, oregano, pepper and reserved meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in beans and parsley. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes longer or until meat and beans are tender. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 356 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1104mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Italian Green Bean Stew in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.