Italian Green Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, coarsely mashed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, water, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Add tomato mixture and cheese; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 73 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 26, 2018
This is a great healthy option for a side dish. I streamed the beans instead boiling them. I plan to make this again.
Feb 6, 2018
Wonderful green bean recipe. I liked I could simmer these while I prepared the rest of the meal.
Jun 27, 2017
Lobe how the flavors come together with the green beans!!
Sep 14, 2014
I used frozen green beans. The flavor was excellent but I'm going to use fresh the next time!
Jul 5, 2010
Loved these, great flavor in the sauce.
Jun 1, 2010
I think in order to give this 5 stars I would have to leave the recipe "as is." I did change a few things though, that's the reason for the 4 stars. However, with the changes, it gets 5 stars. I used 1 can italian diced tomatoes with oregano, basil and garlic. I omitted the oregano & basil since these ingredients were in the canned tomatoes. I used 2 lbs. frozen green beans instead of fresh. The rest of the ingredients, I left the same. I was taking these to a potluck which was about 4 hours later so after following all of the directions for cooking them, I put them in a crockpot on low until time to eat. (I like my green beans "cooked to death" and these came out perfectly). My husband loved them so this is definitely a keeper (especially since I have a difficult time getting him to eat his veggies)!Thank You for this recipe!
Sep 20, 2009
I cooked the green beans in the sauce. I made mine healthy by eliminating the extra salt and sugar. I finished the beans with a splash of balsalmic vinegar. I won't use the stewed tomatoes next time, maybe diced Italian seasoned tomatoes instead. I don't care for the hard celery bits in the stewed ones.