Italian-Style Lima Beans
This Italian-style side dish will delight lima bean lovers. Not only is it a colorful addition to the menu, the combination of flavors enhance the beans to a delightful taste. The lima beans have a bite yet are tender and perfect with the delicate flavor of the cherry tomatoes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large skillet, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and lima beans; cook for 3-5 minutes or until tomatoes soften and beans are tender.
- Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, lemon zest, oregano, salt and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 99 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 122mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Garlic Lima Beans in Reminisce February/March 2009