Italian Baked Beans
Even people who aren't wild about baked beans enjoy this dish - it puts a new twist on an old summertime favorite. I received the recipe from my brother-in-law and use it often for gatherings. If I have lots of time, I cook the beans on low in a slow cooker - easy and delicious!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the pepperoni, green pepper and onion in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato paste, mushrooms, seasonings and beans; mix well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 130 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Italian Baked Beans in Country Extra July 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.