Italian Baked Beans
Even people who aren't wild about baked beans enjoy this dish - it puts a new twist on an old summertime favorite. I received the recipe from my brother-in-law and use it often for gatherings. If I have lots of time, I cook the beans on low in a slow cooker - easy and delicious!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the pepperoni, green pepper and onion in butter until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato paste, mushrooms, seasonings and beans; mix well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 130 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 496mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Italian Baked Beans in Country Extra July 1994