Italian Baked Ziti
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + simmering Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 8 ounces ziti or small tube pasta
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, basil and 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, egg, salt and pepper.
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with half of the pasta, a third of the meat sauce and half of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and oregano.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 431 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 818mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 6g fiber), 27g protein.
Apr 26, 2016
I simmered the sauce for 20 minutes just because it was easier to blend all ingredients (and this is how I've made my lasagna sauce for years). I doubled the recipe, used a 4 quart Corning casserole pan and did have some leftover sauce. I just added the sauce to the leftover pasta. My family liked this very much.
Apr 27, 2012
I have made this several times and I always enjoy it!
Mar 13, 2012
This is a very good ziti. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time. 3 hours for the sauce plus an hour for baking.
Jan 29, 2012
I made this recipe and followed directions exactly. Ended up with not much sauce or cheese mixture. I will have to double it next time.
Sep 24, 2011
My favorite pasta dish I love it!!
Feb 24, 2011
This is great. Everyone that I have served it to they really like it. It will be made again and again.For snaller entre use a 8X8 baking dish and freeze one ofr later.