German Baked Beans
Canned baked beans never tasted so good! Mary Nieburger of Laughlin, Nevada dresses them up in style with sauerkraut, apple sauce and brown sugar. "These beans are always requested for the monthly dinners at our senior center," she says.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 185 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 890mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 8g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch.
Originally published as German Baked Beans in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.