German Chocolate Brownies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in vanilla and chocolate mixture. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- For topping, combine butter and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add coconut, pecans, corn syrup and milk; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto warm brownies; spread evenly.
- Broil 6 in. from heat 2-4 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 247 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 12, 2016
made these for work--they were a hit!!! was asked for the recipe by everyone.
Jul 20, 2014
Apr 3, 2014
These are so good! I agree with others that the brownie part is a little on the dry side (I cooked for only 15 mins exactly) but that's doesn't bother me much, they are more cakey than fudgey, but I might try just putting the topping on my usual brownie recipe next time though because I don't have to buy German chocolate for that either.
Dec 15, 2012
Very quick and easy to make. The taste is awesome. Perfect as a gift during the holiday season.
Jul 6, 2010
I agree, the flavor of these is wonderful but the brownie turned out pretty dry. I think next time I will underbake them before I add the topping, so when I put them back in to broil they won't overcook and dry out. I'm pretty sure thats what happened because it took much longer than 5 minutes on broil for my topping to cook right. Still the flavor was amazing, and I ate them with vanilla ice cream to counter-act the dryness of the brownie!
Dec 14, 2009
These are good. My only complaint is that I would prefer the base to be a little more moist.