German Chocolate Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Gradually add milk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Gradually stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Combine pecans and coconut; sprinkle over filling. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until puffed and browned.
- Cool for 4 hours. Chill until serving (filling will become firm as it cools).
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 565 calories, 29g fat (14g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Dec 16, 2019
This a wonderful pie. It will be a family favorite
Nov 16, 2016
This is wonderful! You'll definitely need a deep dish pie shell. All my friends loved it; however, it was a bit sweet for me. I'll probably cut back on the sugar some the next time. Definitely a keeper!
Nov 5, 2016
My Mom gave me this recipe years ago. It is absolutely not a healthy treat but I only fix it for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I don't worry about it.I add extra coconut and nuts and make two pies at one time. SO GOOD!"
Sep 12, 2016
Llangley6 we use large eggs in the Test Kitchen. Note that it calls for a deep-dish pastry shell.
Sep 10, 2016
Wanting to try this. Has anyone else had a problem using large eggs?
Mar 1, 2015
This is so good! I love this pie. It's got my favorite flavors of German chocolate cake in pie form (and I think it's much easier to make)!
Dec 2, 2014
Family favorite, been baking this pie for years
Jan 19, 2013
I've been looking for a recipe like this for a long time, finally found THE ONE! So very yummy, and actually very easy to make. Do use a deep dish pie plate and you won't have any messes!
Aug 24, 2012
Our son-in-law loves pie, so I try to make one for him often. This recipe has been in my file for years but never made it until yesterday. He an our daughter said it was really,really good and she asked for the recipe.
Jul 13, 2012
Loved this. I'm a big coconut & chocolate fan so this hit the spot. Can't wait to introduce the rest of my family to it. Definitely a keeper!