Chocolate Angel Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 50 min. + chilling
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chopped nuts, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until soft glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly into a well-greased 9-in. pie pan. Bake at 275° for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, melt chocolate in a small heavy saucepan or microwave; sir until smooth. Stir in coffee and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour into the meringue shell. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Refrigerate, for several hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 324 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Dec 28, 2016
This was not the pie my mother used to make, despite the same name. This one did not have enough meringue to make a nice crust and the filling seemed watery, mealy and bittersweet. I will try to find my mom's recipe. Hers had a thick meringue crust and a smooth, slightly heavier than mousse filling, and walnuts in the bottom of the crust. It was amazing.
Aug 12, 2010
This pie turned out deliciously, even after I forgot and left the crust on the counter for 5 hours! The finished result is so much more attractive than the photo and it was delicious! Even my dessert-hating husband ate seconds! Going to make it for my family's beach trip next week.