German Chocolate Tres Leches Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup rum
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions, using a 13x9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk milks, 1/2 cup cream and rum. With a wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 1/2 in. apart. Slowly pour milk mixture over cake, allowing mixture to absorb into cake. Let stand 30 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top of cake. Sprinkle with coconut and pecans. If desired, drizzle servings with chocolate syrup.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 4, 2019
This is so delicious; thank you Lisa Varner! I made without rum (not a drinker) and it was one of the best cakes I’ve eaten. Super easy, keeps beautifully. Make this and see for yourself!
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I would change is the rum. I am a drinker. I enjoy alcohol most days.... but the rum overpowered the dessert. Honestly, I was shocked by that since it was such a small amount. Otherwise, best dessert ever!