Coconut-Pecan German Chocolate Pie
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in lard until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 11-13 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 6-8 minutes longer or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- In a microwave, melt chocolates in a large bowl; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk in milk, egg yolks and vanilla; stir in pecans. Pour into crust. Bake 16-19 minutes or until set. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens and a thermometer reads 160°, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and vanilla; cool 10 minutes.
- Pour over filling; sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate 4 hours or until cold.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 801 calories, 54g fat (24g saturated fat), 215mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (53g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 21, 2020
If you follow the recipe it will turn out perfect! The pie is perfect! Is it sweet, rich yes it is so you only need a small slice. I have made this pie 4x and will keep on making it once in a blue moon sorta speak
Mar 22, 2020
Sorry I changed my review after trying another piece. I could not understand why my my filling wasn’t setting??? There is no cornstarch in this recipe, and two egg yolks didn’t do the trick of binding. This was really a waste of money. Eating a whole can of Condensed Milk is nasty even with chocolate added. At least a Keylime Pie has the Lime to cut through the sweetness.
Mar 14, 2020
Made my own crust, otherwise made as directed. My grandkids loved it. So did the adults. Yes, it has a lot of calories, but we have pie about twice a year, it is not a weekly thing. So people, it is pie, not a health food. To cut the calories in half, cut the slices in half. There, do you feel better? Only 400 calories a slice. And it is so rich, eat it slowly, savor it and that smaller slice is enough.
Jan 16, 2020
This recipe does sound delicious, I make chocolate pies when I find a new recipe. Had to stop for as I was getting carried away, put on a few pounds! I will make this pie for sure, don’t know if I’ll put the topping on, I’m sure the pie itself is great! And ladies you can use Crisco instead of Lard. Lard is animal fat. It is usually always near the shortening. Not very good for the heart! They used it years ago! Not too much today.
Dec 7, 2019
this was excellent. Hubby said it's the best pie he's ever had-and I make a lot of pies. It is rich, but I don't think it's too rich, hey, it's pie! I made as is, except used my own pie crust. I've already been given the order (by family) to make sure I make it for Christmas dinner.
Nov 29, 2019
I wouldn't make this again. I like rich desserts but this was way too sweet.
Nov 24, 2019
This was very good and relatively easy. For me it was WAY too sweet and rich. My hb and daughter really liked it.
Nov 21, 2019
Looks amazing. Is there a healthy substitution for lard?
Nov 20, 2019
Delicious! It’s now on my must-make list for the holidays!
Nov 17, 2019
Made this pie for my husband for the first time tonight and it was delicious!! I first thought with all the steps it would be difficult but although it has lots of steps it was worth it!! It is very rich you need a big glass of milk or cup of hot coffee. Delicious!!