Velvety Chocolate Butter Pecan Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in the butter and shortening until crumbly. Combine water, vinegar and vanilla. Gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Beat egg wash ingredients; brush over pastry.
- For filling, melt butter and chocolate in a microwave; stir until smooth. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, eggs, molasses, vanilla and salt. Stir in chopped pecans and butter mixture. Pour into pastry. Arrange pecan halves over filling.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 784 calories, 49g fat (18g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 88g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Nov 24, 2016
Doubled the recipe and made it as a slab pie. Turned out delicious and picture perfect. Could have been on the cover of a magazine. Increase the baking time by about 15-20 minutes for the slab version.
Oct 31, 2015
Definitely needs a 10in pie plate though!
Nov 16, 2013
This Pie is SCRUMPTIOUS!!! This is my third year of making this for Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family loves it! (we have to double the recipe so that there is enough for everyone!). Chocolate and pecan lovers, this is the ultimate pie!
Nov 29, 2011
Excellent! My family loved it as much if not more than regular pecan pie. I cooked it longer than required, and the center was still gooey. Yum. Also it made an 9 inch pie and a mini pie. Don't try to fit it all in one.
Nov 22, 2011
This pie taste divine, however it NEVER had any form of solid center and people should be warned this boils up terribly and has MUCH spill over. I planned to make this for company, but will keep this for the family since they dont care how it looks. :)
Nov 21, 2011
Mmmmmmm I made this for a dinner party and everyone loved it!
Oct 16, 2011
What a delicious pie. Made it in a tart pan (with removeable bottom) -- gave it an elegant look and it came out perfect in 65 min.
Oct 16, 2011
Made this and my sister-in-law said 'Omg,it's like a pecan pie and brownie put together'
Oct 12, 2011
Delicious, but I also cooked it longer than 65 minutes and my knife was not clean when it came out of the pie. I like the gooey center though, so I don't really mind.
Sep 26, 2011
This pie is very good, just like a pecan pie but with chocolate inside. My only problem was I cooked it well over 65 minutes and I could not get the center to solidify enough to put a knife into it and have it come out clean. But it was still really good with a gooey inside!