Molasses-Bourbon Pecan Pie
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Whipped cream
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses, butter and salt; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. (Mixture will be thick when cooled.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Stir eggs, bourbon and vanilla into molasses mixture. Stir in pecans. Pour into pastry shell. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without whipped cream): 653 calories, 35g fat (7g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 24, 2016
We made the pie following all the steps exactly as stated. The filling was not enough for the 9 inch pie pan. It filled half way through. Then, 350F is too high for pecans. It burnt the top even before the timer went off at 55 mins baking time. Not recommended as a recipe to go!
Nov 28, 2014
I've always been a huge fan of pecan pie, but this one is my all-time favorites and will be my go-to recipe from now on. I made it exactly as the recipe stated and it was delicious! It's not as sweet as the usual recipes and it got a bit of a crispy top on it so it was extra crunchy. Definitely a keeper!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.