Chocolate Strawberry Truffle Brownies
Some of the strawberry jam I put up every year makes its way into these brownies. I like to bake up a batch as a special treat for the learning-disabled students I teach. My husband and three sons enjoy them, too. —Teresa Jansen, Advance, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- TRUFFLE FILLING:
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- 1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and eggs. Stir in chocolate mixture. Dissolve coffee in water; add to chocolate mixture. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to batter.
- Spread evenly in a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for filling, melt chocolate chips and coffee granules; stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add jam and confectioners' sugar; mix well. Beat in melted chocolate until well blended. Spread over brownies.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over filling. Chill at least 1 hour.