Black Forest Brownies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter; stir in cocoa until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in extracts and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in cherries and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Meanwhile, for icing, in a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth; spread over hot brownies. Sprinkle with nuts. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Jul 12, 2012
Didn't use nuts or cherries. It was delicious. I also melted some milk chocolate and added it to the icing. I was trying to find the nutritional breakdown of this recipe, but couldn't find it.
Dec 6, 2011
These were a little dry. Not sure if I over baked them or if there is something I could do to fix that. But the taste is really good. I intend to try again....any ideas for a more moist brownie?
Apr 30, 2010
Wonderful!! Moist chocolatey, it is my favorite brownie
Nov 12, 2008
This recipe is too good to keep at home. I sent it to my husbands work and now they beg me to make them! I chopped the cherries.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.