Black Forest Brownies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter; stir in cocoa until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in extracts and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in cherries and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (do not overbake).
- Meanwhile, for icing, in a large bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth; spread over hot brownies. Sprinkle with nuts. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 12, 2012
Didn't use nuts or cherries. It was delicious. I also melted some milk chocolate and added it to the icing. I was trying to find the nutritional breakdown of this recipe, but couldn't find it.
Dec 6, 2011
These were a little dry. Not sure if I over baked them or if there is something I could do to fix that. But the taste is really good. I intend to try again....any ideas for a more moist brownie?
Apr 30, 2010
Wonderful!! Moist chocolatey, it is my favorite brownie
Nov 12, 2008
This recipe is too good to keep at home. I sent it to my husbands work and now they beg me to make them! I chopped the cherries.