New England Baked Beans
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + soaking Bake: 2-1/2 hours
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven; add enough water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add 6 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beans are almost tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, syrup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid; place in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in onion mixture and bacon. Cover and bake at 300° for 2-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes. Add reserved cooking liquid as needed.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 385 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 77g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 8g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 17, 2018
Delious. It got rave reviews at Father’s Day lunch. I did make the suggested changes about reducing the sugar only adding 1/2 a cup of brown sugar, 1/4 c molasses and omitting the syrup altogether. I also reduced the ketchup to 1 cup and added 1 cup BBQ sauce.This is how I will make baked beans from now on. It is so worth the trouble...Thank you Pat Medeiros.
Jun 13, 2018
This is one of the best baked bean recipes I've tried! It has amazing flavor and I'll definitely make it again!
Jan 4, 2018
reduced the sugar to 3/4 C. Reduced molasses and syrup to 1/4 C. Added 2 Tbsp. vinegar and 1 - 8 oz drained can of pineapple tidbits. Yummy!
Aug 14, 2017
Made this for our family reunion and it was one of the first dishes gone! Very good and easy to make. Take plenty of extra recipes with you to pass around!
Jan 27, 2015
This recipe was way,way too sweet. You could not taste anything else but that. I would say cut all sugar, molasses and syrup in half.
Jul 3, 2014
Congratulations - finally a baked bean recipe that starts with dried beans and not one that uses canned baked beans! Very good!
Jun 29, 2014
Based on previous comments, I reduced the brown sugar to 1 c. Still too sweet for our family! Although, overall had a really good flavor. Next time, will play with reducing the brown sugar just a little more and/or replacing half of the ketchup with tomato sauce and see if that suits our taste a little better.
Feb 9, 2014
So delicious. Tastes like my grandmother's.
Nov 11, 2013
I made these in the slow cooker with great results.
Apr 20, 2012
This is the best baked bean recipe using dried beans that I have ever tasted! I usually make it in the crockpot overnight. I will sometimes substitute leftover ham for the bacon. This recipe is foolproof, and freezes well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.