New England Bean & Bog Cassoulet
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3 day-old croissants, cubed (about 6 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. In batches, brown chicken thighs on both sides; remove from pan, reserving drippings. Add sausage; cook and stir until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add shallots, rosemary and thyme; cook and stir until shallots are tender, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth and cranberries. Return chicken and sausage to pan; bring to a boil. Bake, covered, until chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Toss croissant pieces with remaining oil; sprinkle with lemon pepper. Arrange over chicken mixture. Bake, uncovered, until croissants are golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 500 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 1050mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 35g protein.
Nov 17, 2016
This was amazing. The flavors were complex, sweet, savory and all around wonderful. I was surprised how easy it was to prepare - it's now in our regular rotation of dishes!
Nov 1, 2015
This was comforting and tasty. I liked the fresh cranberries and the baked beans. We tried it with chicken apple sausage instead of the Italian. The croissants didn't save well, so if you are saving leftovers, I might recommend taking those off before storing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.