Cassoulet for Today
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, chopped
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a broiler-safe Dutch oven, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat; brown chicken on both sides. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, saute onion in remaining oil over medium heat until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add wine; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Add tomatoes, herbs and chicken; return to a boil.
- Transfer to oven; bake, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in beans and kielbasa; bake, covered, until chicken is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven; preheat broiler. Discard bay leaf; stir in bacon. Toss bread crumbs with parsley and garlic; sprinkle over top. Place in oven so surface of cassoulet is 4-5 in. from heat; broil until crumbs are golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
Editor's NoteTo make soft bread crumbs, tear bread into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. One slice of bread yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 394 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 736mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 26, 2017
Delicious comfort food at its finest! The chicken, bacon, and sausage are a great combination and the crispy bread crumb topping is fun and yummy. I'm excited to try freezing a batch of this!
Oct 16, 2016
Great recipe! I make this often and we enjoy it. Tastes even better the next day. As a Volunteer Field Editor, I recommend this dish! Your family will enjoy it!
Sep 12, 2016
This was great! I used chicken breasts and added carrots and celery. My hubby also really enjoyed the flavors. It was easy and had so much flavor. I will be making this again.
Sep 7, 2016
This was really good, and very easy. I actually cut the amount of chicken in half, since it's just for two of us, but kept everything else the same. We had enough left over for lunches for both of us!! Will definitely make this again
Sep 3, 2016
I made this for my family today, and it certainly is a keeper. I am diabetic , so this is a great recipes for me, minus the bread crumbs ( instead I just grated some Parmesan cheese on top). The flavors blend to make you think it was more work than it really was. The chicken was so tender and the herbs and wine give it the final touch. I am a Volunteer Food Editor, also, and I give this a 5 .
Sep 1, 2016
We had Taste of Home's “Cassoulet for Today” recipe last night. It was delicious! DH prepared the recipe through step 3, cooled it, and refrigerated it the day before. Last night he reheated it and completed step four.It's a very satisfying dish...creamy cannellini beans, fork-tender chicken thighs, smoky kielbasa and bacon mixed with tomatoes, onion, garlic and fresh herbs topped with a crunchy garlic infused bread crumbs. Will add this recipe to my keeper file! This volunteer field editor is glad to give this dish a 5 star rating!
Aug 31, 2016
Very good, my family loved this dish. I used regular kielbasa since I couldn't find turkey at either of my stores. I will make this again!
Aug 30, 2016
This is a wonderful comfort meal! I especially love using chicken thighs, such good flavor and so moist! This is a great version of a cassoulet !
Aug 29, 2016
I prepared this delicious dish tonight and we fell in love with it. Hubby went back for seconds. I made no changes to the recipe. Although there are several steps to the recipe it was easy to prepare I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor.
Aug 20, 2014
Delicious! I left out the bay leaf and added some basil, also cooked the bacon in the chicken drippings and added in with the chicken. I forgot to drain the tomatoes, but it was fine. I served it with a loaf of crusty French bread.