Cassoulet for the Gang
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes10 servings (4 quarts)
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth, divided
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute pork and kielbasa in oil until lightly browned; drain. Add carrots and onion; saute 4 minutes longer. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place 1 can of beans in a food processor; add 1/4 cup wine. Cover and process until pureed. Stir into meat mixture. Stir in the remaining beans and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled cassoulet in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Editor's NoteLook for herbes de Provence in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 316 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 11g fiber), 25g protein.
Nov 20, 2017
Great recipe to make in the chillier months. I've made this 2 ways & both taste great. I first used just cooked turkey sausage in place of the kielbasa & it tasted wonderful. The next time I made it, I used kielbasa & couldn't believe the difference in flavor. Both were outstanding & easy to make.
Feb 20, 2010
I make this recipe often. It is a big hit with the entire family.
Sep 20, 2009
I made this in the slow cooker and it turned out great!