Vermont Baked Beans
These baked beans are nothing like the canned variety you may be used to. The rich sauce has wonderful smokiness from chopped bacon and a subtle sweetness from maple syrup.—Elizabeth Horton, Brattleboro, Vermont
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Bake: 3 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Soak beans according to package directions. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return beans to Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Stir the onion, syrup, salt, mustard, pepper and bacon into the beans.
- Cover and bake at 300° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are tender and reach desired consistency, stirring every 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 317 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 784mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 9g fiber), 14g protein.
Jun 17, 2014
I was happy to find this recipe. I've just been put on a special diet & maple syrup is the only natural sweetner I can have. Thank you !!
Feb 14, 2013
These are similar to the ones my mom used to make. Very delicious.