New England Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, sugar, salt, rosemary, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the ham, peas and remaining milk; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 239 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 899mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Dec 28, 2015
Easy to make Great soup. My husband woke up with a a sore throat this morning. This was the perfect fix. He really enjoyed it and so did I. I made it with just the exact instructions except I was out of milk so I used heavy cream and added water. Very good and just perfect for a cold winters day with garlic bread. Yum!
Mar 14, 2011
Pretty good. Maybe we are big eaters; for us this was more like 4 dinner size servings. I might use a little less flour and milk. Also might use fewer peas and/or add diced carrots when sauteing the onions and celery.
Jan 26, 2010
Scored big time with this at a 20 person birthday party. Would probably be great with corn in place of the peas (I have a picky eater).
Oct 7, 2008
I made this last night for dinner. The family loved it! I made it according to the recipe, but would be just as good without the ham for a meatless dish. I will definitely make it again. Thank you very much!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.