Pennsylvania Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), halved
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 7 to 8 fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Browning sauce, optional
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add the broth, onions and seasonings. Cook, covered, on high for 4 hours. Add the potatoes, carrots and mushrooms. Cook, covered, on high 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender. Remove the meat and vegetables; keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- In a saucepan, combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir in 1-1/2 cups cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add browning sauce if desired. Serve with roast and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 331 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 490mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Nov 15, 2015
Jun 29, 2014
This is a great crock pot recipe. The browning sauce (which I had never used before) gives the gravy a nice rich color. Next time I will quarter some onions instead of using the sliced green onions in the recipe.
Nov 24, 2013
Awesome and so easy!
Feb 22, 2012
My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe! I added 1 cup of celery to the recipe; we couldn't do a roast without celery. Everything was so tender and delicious, we would definitely make this roast again!
Feb 18, 2012
Ditto that. The gravy is surprisingly good without needing extra fussing, as gravies usually do. I mixed the cold water and flour in a swirl cup and added it to the broth at the beginning of the cooking time, making the recipe even easier. I didn't need the browning sauce. You may want to cut down on the cooking time - cook just till a fork can pierce the roast easily. My supermarket sells these small pork shoulder roasts frequently, so this recipe will join the rest in my "favorites and frequently used" file.
Oct 24, 2011
Made this today. Husband and friends loved it. I forgot to add salt & pepper when cooking, but it wasn't missed! The flavor is really fantastic. Definitely to do again, and again, and again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.