Lone Star Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Combine tomatoes, chilies, taco seasoning, bouillon and sugar; pour over the roast. Cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast to a platter and keep warm. For gravy, pour 2 cups pan juices into a saucepan. Combine cold water and flour; stir into pan juices over high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Serve with roast. Freeze option: Place sliced pot roast in freezer containers; top with gravy. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 352 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 594mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 14, 2018
This was a real hit with our family! I did it in the crockpot. I added garlic, left out the sugar and flour, and made my own taco seasoning... but the meat was tender and flavorful! Definitely will make it again! Also, if you added veggies, this would make a fabulous soup.
Dec 29, 2017
Very tasty roast. I fixed it in my electric skillet and it turned out great. However, the gravy was way too thick and I had to add and add water to thin it out enough to use. It was different and we liked it. A keeper.
Nov 6, 2016
I had very high expectations given all of the 5 stars, but I found this recipe simply o.k. In my humble opinion, nothing beats 10 hours on low in the slow cooker where the meat comes out so very tender. The meat was rather tough but it could have been the cut I purchased. I will stick to slow cookers for roasts and use my dutch oven for smaller cuts of meat.
Jul 26, 2015
Jun 7, 2015
This was GREAT! Only got a small pot roast, since there are only 3 of us, but next time I'll get a larger roast for the leftover shredded sandwiches! The gravy was awesome, too!
Sep 2, 2014
Very good if you like your meat a little spicy. Great sliced and served with mashed potatoes or shredded and served with tortillas!
Jan 18, 2014
One of our favorites. Been making this since it first came out. Yummy!!!!
Oct 19, 2013
Love this recipe, it's my favorite pot roast. I've made it numerous times just as a roast and as a sandwich filling. Just shredded the meat and put back in the gravy. Awesome. Have taken to potlucks at work as a sandwich filling and everyone loved it. Thanks, Helen, for sharing this incredible recipe!!!
May 12, 2013
This was very good, made an excellent filling for tacos!
Mar 29, 2013
Been making this over and over since it first appeared in 1995! Best review is my husband's co workers requested the recipe after merely smelling the leftovers that he took for lunch reheating.