Apple and Onion Beef Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours + standing
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds), cut in half
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large tart apple, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown roast on all sides. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add water to the skillet, stirring to loosen any browned bits; pour over roast. Sprinkle with seasoned salt, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder. Top with apple and onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove roast and onion; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Strain cooking liquid into a saucepan, discarding apple. Bring liquid to a boil; cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir in browning sauce. Stir into cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef and onion.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 242 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Feb 27, 2015
I used a new crock pot and overlooked it a little, but the flavor was great! My apples were mush and ended up just being a part of the gravy....wish I had peeled them, as I think someone suggested. I will make this again, peeling my apples, and cutting the cook time in half.
Oct 23, 2013
We like this recipe !
Dec 1, 2012
My daughter makes this with pork. Absolutely awesome! She made it at my house when we had out of state company and everyone had seconds...some had thirds! Oh, and granny smith does make a difference.....don't substitute.
Oct 9, 2012
Even though the apple gets very soft during cooking, we eat it with the beef and onions anyway. It almost becomes part of the sauce.
Jan 13, 2012
This was an interesting twist to roast beef. It was pleasantly sweet and light tasting. I will make this on a hot autumn day.
Nov 5, 2011
This makes excellent gravy! I didn't cut the roast in half and am puzzled why the recipe calls for that, as the roasts I buy tend to overcook easily in crock pots (or the oven, for that matter). Also, I added the mushy apple to the gravy for more flavor. The apples should be peeled if you do that. I will definitely make this again.
Sep 21, 2011
WOW. Loved it. Added another apple and onion for extra.
Mar 14, 2010
Delicious and easy!:)
Mar 14, 2010
What a great recipe!
Dec 18, 2009
This was an excellent roast. I left my 3 pound roast whole and cooked it for the 9 hours I am at work. It was fabulous and the leftovers were delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.