Roast Pork with Apple Topping
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- In a small bowl, combine flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, ground mustard, caraway, sugar, pepper and sage; rub over roast. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Roast, uncovered, 40 minutes. In a small bowl, mix applesauce, brown sugar, mace and remaining salt; spread over roast. Roast 35-40 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked pork: 291 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Dec 25, 2012
This is one of my personal favorites. Works well with ham too.
Aug 25, 2012
I love this recipe and have shared it with friends. Easy and flavorful. I use homemade applesauce for the topping.
Sep 28, 2009
This is now my favorite way to make pork roast too! The applesauce topping complements the pork perfectly. I just added about 3 tablespoons of flour to the sauce to thicken it so it doesn't slide off the roast so easily. Thanks, Virginia!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.