Roast Pork with Apple Topping
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/4 hours + standing
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- In a small bowl, combine flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, ground mustard, caraway, sugar, pepper and sage; rub over roast. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Roast, uncovered, 40 minutes. In a small bowl, mix applesauce, brown sugar, mace and remaining salt; spread over roast. Roast 35-40 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked pork: 291 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch.
Dec 25, 2012
This is one of my personal favorites. Works well with ham too.
Aug 25, 2012
I love this recipe and have shared it with friends. Easy and flavorful. I use homemade applesauce for the topping.
Sep 28, 2009
This is now my favorite way to make pork roast too! The applesauce topping complements the pork perfectly. I just added about 3 tablespoons of flour to the sauce to thicken it so it doesn't slide off the roast so easily. Thanks, Virginia!