Pork Roast with Apple-Mushroom Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 35 min.
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3 pounds)
- 3 small tart apples, cut into eighths
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Fresh thyme sprigs, optional
- Sprinkle thyme and pepper over roast and press into the meat. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; bake 1-1/4 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 160°-170°.
- Fifteen minutes before roast is done, saute apples in butter in a skillet until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; cover and keep warm. Saute mushrooms in the same skillet until tender; set aside.
- Remove roast from oven; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a serving platter; cover and keep warm. Pour cider into baking pan; stir to loosen browned bits. Transfer to a saucepan; add broth, cream, brown sugar and remaining salt. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and heat though.
- To serve, garnish roast with apples and thyme springs if desired. Serve with mushroom sauce.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 294 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Feb 18, 2012
Delicious. Bu t since I am extremely lactose intolerant and just found out that I am pre-diabetic I had to adjust the recipe a little:NO salt or brown sugar. fewer apples, yogurt instead of whipping cream and I substituted some red wine for the apple juice.I must admit - it was GREAT!