Apple Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 55 min.
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole allspice
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, brown beef in butter. Add onions; cook until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour and salt. Gradually add water and apple juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Place the bay leaves, allspice and cloves in a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add carrots and apples; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the meat, carrots and apples are tender. Discard spice bag. Thicken if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 526 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 163mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 46g protein.
Oct 19, 2013
needs more carrots otherwise really good
Dec 23, 2011
For ASH_21:there is ground allspice and whole allspice seeds
Oct 24, 2011
Very good stew...very fun and fallish! Used a coffee filter instead of cheesecloth for spice bag though.
Mar 8, 2011
I'm confused.... what is (2) whole allspice?
Jan 15, 2009
This does sound very good. I think it would be fine in the crockpot also, making the house smell so yummy after a hard day at work! :)
Jan 15, 2009
Yummy! My family loved this twist on beef stew. Because all the water boiled down after cooking the beef, I added water enough to cover the veggies, along with some beef bouillon cubes to make the apple flavor more subtle. I also added cubed potatoes because I was nervous that there wouldn't be enough for my family of 5. I'm glad I did, and we ate it all!!