Moroccan Apple Beef Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup pitted dried plums, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice or couscous, optional
- Mix salt, cinnamon, pepper and allspice; sprinkle over beef and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Brown beef in batches, adding additional oil as necessary. Remove beef with a slotted spoon.
- Add onion to same pan; cook and stir until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, dried plums and honey. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours.
- Add apples; cook, covered, until beef and apples are tender, 30-45 minutes longer. Skim fat. If desired, serve stew with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 339 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 905mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Nov 23, 2018
Is there anything you can substitute for the prunes???? Can't stand them.
Mar 28, 2018
This was absolutely amazing. Flavors were out of bounds, and the apples and prunes really give this dish a great flavor. Not difficult to make either.
Sep 30, 2017
My husband is one of the pickiest eaters I know, so when I ran across this recipe, I was doubtful. He rates it as one of his top 5 favorite meals of all time. The spices are relatively simple, but pack a great punch!
Aug 26, 2014
This was really good. It smelled amazing while it was cooking. Both my kids (even the picky one) asked for seconds! The prunes (dried plums) completely disintegrated into the sauce, so there were no issues with "What is this black thing?"
Jul 12, 2014
This was quite tasty. However, I picked up dried figs instead of plum. They worked fine. The spices smelled so good when the beef was cooking.