Moroccan Braised Beef
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- Place flour in a large shallow dish; add beef and turn to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, onions, tomatoes, wine and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the raisins. Serve with couscous if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary. Serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups beef mixture: 533 calories, 22g fat (7g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 5g fiber), 34g protein.
Sep 14, 2016
Delicious! It was fantastic the day it was made, but the leftovers were even better because the flavors had melded overnight.
Nov 14, 2015
This was an instant family favorite. We enjoy exotic flavors and this fragrant dish was perfect! I serve on top of couscous cooked in chicken broth and sprinkled with chopped cilantro. Fantastic!
Aug 20, 2015
This is one of our family favorites. We make it at least once a month. For those unsure about which wine to use: we use the Charles Shaw (inexpensive Trader Joes brand) Cabernet Sauvignon. Since we aren't wine drinkers, we asked Trader Joes for advice, and that was the wine they recommended for the recipe.
Jul 23, 2013
This is one of the best recipes I have made in a long time. Quick to fix, even though you have to brown the meat first. I made it with pork shoulder the other night--even yummier than the beef version!
May 19, 2013
I mixed eggplant into it, and it was very good.
Apr 4, 2013
Made this last night for the in-laws and they loved it. I did add garbanzo beans and for added texture added 1 lb. of ground beef. I served this with basmati rice. Next time using same meat ingredients I'm going to add more seasoning quantities as I felt with the extra meat the seasonings didn't come through as strong.
Mar 10, 2013
Not that tasty, will eat the left overs instead of giving them to the dogs, but will not make it again.
Feb 1, 2012
One of the best recipes on this site that I have tried so far. Love the curry powder in this. Just the right amount of heat. It is also delicious over rice. I served the raisins on the side.
Mar 8, 2010
I made some minor deviations from the recipe, none of which seemed to hurt. I didn't have time to brown the meat and I left out the cayenne pepper because my wife and I don't care for it. This was excellent, very tasty with a lot of delicious sauce that was good over white rice. I used the full measure of curry powder and didn't find it overpowering at all.