Moroccan Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon garam masala, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- Hot cooked couscous or flatbreads, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; saute onions with paprika, 1 tablespoon garam masala, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in chickpeas and broth; transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Mix pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 3/4 teaspoon salt; rub over roast. Place in slow cooker. Add carrots and eggplant. Cook, covered, until meat and vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker; break into pieces. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon; skim fat from cooking juices. Stir in honey. Return beef and vegetables to slow cooker and heat through. Sprinkle with mint. If desired, serve with couscous. Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef and vegetable mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring gently.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 435 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 2, 2017
very disappointed with this recipe where is the fruit, fresh cinnamon, cilantro...
Jan 2, 2017
This was great with couscous! My husband usually doesn't like eggplant but enjoyed the flavor here.
Dec 7, 2016
Loved this recipe! Made this yesterday for my family - big hit! Lot's of flavor and so easy to make. With my busy life I love the crock-pot meals, authentic or not (reading one previous review) it has wonderful Moroccan flavors. Great meal for those of us busy families who love flavor and convenience of a crock-pot. Who has time to use a Tangine! I'll be adding this to my monthly meal menu.
Dec 6, 2016
Delicious. Very authentic. I lived with the Moroccan royal family and pot roast was served regularly. This was the exact recipe used.
Dec 6, 2016
This dish is fine but it is not Moroccan or anything you might find at the Marrakech bazaar. I lived in Morocco with my inlaws, so I should know. It sounds like someone who thinks they know how Moroccan food is cooked! Why not consult with someone who has actually lived in Morocco and find out the real recipes. Also, they do not use slow cookers, all meat is cooked in a pressure cooker before the other ingredients are added. The only slow cooker they use is a Tagine. I'm sorry to be so critical, but it pains me when recipes are supposed to be from another culture but are so Americanized.