Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium red potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil and butter until tender. Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon stick and chili powder; saute 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, squash, chickpeas, tomatoes, potatoes, lemon and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
- Add zucchini; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard cinnamon stick and lemon slices. Stir in cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 152 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 621mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Jun 3, 2014
I have made this twice for different dinner guests that include non meat eaters and it was a success each time, I followed the recipe just as noted and was very tasty, I served it with crusty dinner rolls and a salad,
Jan 5, 2012
Very disappointing. Lacked flavor. Maybe adding spinach would add to flavor and color. Sent some to a vegan friend. It will be interesting to see what he has to say about recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.