Mediterranean Chicken Stew
Tomatoes and peppers lend to the eye-catching color of this fast-to-fix stew. The mild seasonings will appeal to everyone's tastes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add chicken; cook for 6-8 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Stir in the tomatoes, peppers, olives, salt and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 236 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Mediterranean Chicken Stew in 2003 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.