Mediterranean Chicken in Eggplant Sauce
Spice-coated chicken thighs simmer in a rich red pepper-eggplant sauce. This savory entree is perfect for an everyday meal or potluck. It's an easy slow-cooker dish to prepare in the morning so that dinner is ready at the end of the day.—Judy Armstrong, Prairieville, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 1 small eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 8 naan flatbreads, quartered
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- Add wine to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the eggplant, red peppers, onion, jalapeno, tomato paste, brown sugar and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until pureed. Pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender, adding olives and parsley during the last 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve with naan.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup chicken mixture with 4 pieces naan flatbread: 588 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 1293mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 40g protein.
Feb 6, 2019
This was a great recipe and I liked it because it is different. I definitely will make it again!
Mar 11, 2015
Very good! I left the veggies as chunks instead of pureeing them and liked the texture of it better.