Pasta with Eggplant Sauce
This was my mother's recipe and is a nice way to incorporate eggplant into a meal. The thick, chunky sauce is splendid. I like to have it with a glass of red wine, crusty Italian bread and a tossed salad.—Jean Lawrence, Rochester, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 1 can (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound thin spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the eggplant, onion, parsley and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, mushrooms, sugar, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta. Serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.