Pasta with Fresh Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced yellow summer squash
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 5 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots in oil until crisp-tender. Add the garlic; cook for 1-2 minutes or until garlic is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, broccoli, squash, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pasta; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 205 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 24, 2018
I almost(!) followed the recipe exactly. This is a very flexible recipe which can easily be adjusted for individual tastes and preferences. I had no tomatoes, so left them out. I added a bit of chicken broth so that vegetables could cook and not brown. I sauteed bits of bacon separately and added them at the end. I also sauteed some chopped onion with the garlic. Even my husband, not really a fan of pasta and vegetables, liked this and asked that I save the recipe. Lots of parmesan cheese on the side helped him to enjoy it. It is delicious, and light. Yum.
Jul 8, 2016
Same question as a previous reviewer. How are the veggie supposed to boil? I don't se any liquids mentioned except for 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Jun 1, 2016
I don't understand what is supposed to boil? There is no liquid in this recipe. Can someone please help?
Feb 24, 2015
This is a very quick recipe and you can really use whatever veggies that you like. I omitted the tomatoes all together since my boys do not like them. It's a very colourful and tasty dish and I will be making this again.
Aug 3, 2014
This was a really good recipe everyoine loved it.Parboiled the tomatoes to remove skins.
Jul 6, 2010
This was so delicious! I left out the green pepper, and simmered the ingredients for only a few minutes since we like our veggies crisp-tender. I used fresh herbs from my very first herb garden, and it was so good! I also omitted the parmesan cheese, and used about 1/4 of the noodles because the veggies were so good on their own.
Jul 9, 2009
This is a wonderful dish! My kids loved it. I would add more oregano next time. Leftovers are good cold as a salad.