Saucy Mediterranean Chicken with Rice
The hints of Mediterranean flavor in this chicken dish make it a family favorite. —Tabitha Alloway, Edna, Kansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, mix the water, tomato paste, lemon juice, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, ginger, fennel, turmeric and, if desired, coriander until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in chicken; brown 3-4 minutes. Pour water mixture into pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice. If desired, top with parsley.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup chicken mixture with 3/4 cup rice: 394 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken Cochin in Simple & Delicious June/July 2018