Saucy Mediterranean Chicken with Rice
The hints of Mediterranean flavor in this chicken dish make it a family favorite. —Tabitha Alloway, Edna, Kansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small bowl, mix the water, tomato paste, lemon juice, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, ginger, fennel, turmeric and, if desired, coriander until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in chicken; brown 3-4 minutes. Pour water mixture into pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Serve with rice. If desired, top with parsley.
Test Kitchen tips