Mediterranean Chicken with Spaghetti Squash
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 center-cut bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-18 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, cook bacon and leek over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon mixture to paper towels. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the broth, wine and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add chicken and bacon mixture; heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with chicken mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 340 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 12, 2016
I've made this several times now, and each time is different, reflecting what I have on hand. My favorite way is to reduce the flour to 1T, use 1/3 c heavy whipping cream instead, and put the leek in with the broth, wine, and cream. The leek comes out a little crunchy, which is what we prefer. I also use lemon thyme instead. (I grow it.)
Nov 20, 2015
Awesome. When it came time to add flour, I needed to add (approx. 2-3 T) butter to create a roux. Added 1/2 teaspoon "Better than Broth - Chicken", additional 1/4 cup extra heavy cream, and ground pepper. Otherwise, followed instructions exactly. It was delicious!! My husband liked it better than the red sauce w/Italian sausage we had the night before. I used spaghetti squash from that meal - just microwaved for 1.5 to 2 minutes. This recipe is a keeper.
Mar 31, 2015
Very tasty! will do again! thank you
Feb 28, 2015
This was delicious. Spaghetti squash combined with chicken was good.
Jan 11, 2015
Very good! Was easy to make. My kids didn't care for it, but they are little and super picky.
Oct 21, 2014
This is delicious!
Mar 20, 2014
I made this for my husband and a friend and it quickly disappeared!
Oct 1, 2012
This is a really good healthy meal. I used boneless thighs, onion instead of leeks, and 2% milk. Delicious!
Jan 9, 2012
I'm a big fan of mediterranean food but had never tried spaghetti squash before and wasn't sure what to expect (especially coming from the microwave) but it was delicious! I typically prefer things on the spicy side but all the flavors came together so nicely it didn't need any heat. My boyfriend made a point to tell me three times to make sure I save the recipe and we look forward to making this again soon!
Jan 3, 2012
Really great, especially serving our diabetic friend - really appreciated it. Tasty and good for you - what more can you ask for?