Mediterranean Chicken in Eggplant Sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 cups white wine or chicken broth
- 1 small eggplant (1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup pitted ripe olives, halved
- 1/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 8 naan flatbreads, quartered
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add chicken; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil in batches. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Add wine to the skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the eggplant, red peppers, onion, jalapeno, tomato paste, brown sugar and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process until pureed. Pour over chicken.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender, adding olives and parsley during the last 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve with naan.
1 cup chicken mixture with 4 pieces naan flatbread: 588 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 1293mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 40g protein.
Feb 6, 2019This was a great recipe and I liked it because it is different. I definitely will make it again!
Mar 11, 2015
Very good! I left the veggies as chunks instead of pureeing them and liked the texture of it better.