Mediterranean Chicken Orzo Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes6 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, salt, oregano and pepper; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Add orzo. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-18 minutes or until orzo is tender, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Stir in lemon zest and juice; remove bay leaf. If desired, top each serving with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 223 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 630mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Dec 19, 2019
I have been eager to try this recipe and I have to say I was not disappointed. It reminded me of the chicken lemon/rice soup served at an area Greek restaurant. Full of flavor!
May 31, 2019
Yummy! I think that the spices could be increased for more flavor as it was sweet as is.