Greek Tomato Soup with Orzo
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) whole tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese and minced fresh basil, optional
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add orzo; cook and stir until lightly toasted.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until orzo is tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with feta and basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 299 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 12g fiber), 11g protein.
Sep 18, 2019
I just made this (for breakfast lol) and it was super easy and super delicious! Thank you!
Nov 10, 2017
My husband brings back "heads" of cheese from the island his family is from. Sheep or goats milk,made the way it was hundreds of years ago,if not more! Each person makes it a bit different,some are hard,some softer. Some are soaked in olive oil,some are dipped in beeswax. Some "island cheese" would be lovely in this soup. After 6 months there he may not want Greek food for awhile! He usually wants pizza ! I will make this after he's had his fill of American food.